söndag 6 december 2015

I'm still here!

¡Hola!

I'm back, this blog isn't dead, I promise! I've just taken a break, didn't have a lot of inspiration for this thing but now I'll try to do better! Not making any promises though :D

So just a quick update for now, longer posts are also coming soon, since I've done a couple of awesome trips in the last couple of months! Anyway: all my classes are basically done, just have to do the final exams which for me will take place between the 11th and the 18th of December. Most of the 4 exams will be easy, but Databases (which is the last one) is just pure hell... hopefully I'll pass that one too!

It's very weird spending this time of year in the Southern hemisphere, where it's actually summer and the weather is hot! There is really no Christmas feeling in the same way as in the Nordic countries, all the Christmas stuff is very plastic and bling-bling, and also, did I mention: it's hot! And not dark! So weird...
At the Christmas section at the supermarket and look who it is! Good old Fresita!
X-mas mayhem in a department store on Florida street in central Buenos Aires.
Last Sunday, Nov 29th, I actually experienced some Christmas spirit for a couple of hours when me and Sanni went to a Finnish Christmas event organized at the Scandinavian church. First there was a service in the church and then coffee and snacks. Of course there was gingerbread cookies, and we also had dark bread (not quite as dark as in Finland but still good) with salmon and pickled herring (silli). It tasted SO GOOD. Then we sang some Finnish Christmas songs and then Santa Claus came to visit, to give all the kids some chocolate! I also got to meet some people I had met on my first trip to Bs As, they had been our hosts that time and now I got to catch up with them. We also got to know some other Finnish people living in Bs As. All in all, it was a lot of fun!

Time for church!
Food!! <3
Joulupukki came to visit.
Those of you that follow me on Instagram have already seen some of these. If you're not one of them, but you'd like to see what I've been up to, I recommend giving Instagram a try (my profile is private so you have to request access: https://www.instagram.com/ella.warras/). I post there much more often than here or on FB.

Today we celebrated Finland's independence day here at my apartment with Sanni. We made some white glögi (mulled wine) since the supermarket didn't have any red juice that would have worked... cranberry was our best bet, but nope. It turned out okay, tasted sort of like glögi but I still miss the delicious Marli glögi from back home. For lunch we ordered sushi (making Finnish food is too complicated) and then we watched Linnan juhlat, of course! For those who don't know, it's the president's ball where he invites 1800 (had to check that number) important people to shake hands with him and drink some punch. The handshaking is the main event, that's where you get to see who got invited and what they're wearing.

Hyvää itsenäisyyspäivää! You can see my advent calendar in the background, that's going to be my only Christmas decoration this year.
So that's about it for now! Happy waiting for Christmas, hyvää joulun odotusta, as we say in Finland!

Saludos,
Ella

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar